Sunday, February 17, 2008

Passing it On ~ Wings of Compassion

If you've been reading, you know that a new blogging award flew into circulation Thursday. The Wings of Compassion Award, created by me. Although I created this award with my niece Amanda, aka PhotoChick in mind, there are a few more people I want to pass this award on to. So today I'll start with Rocks in my Dryer. This woman has more Compassion than I've seen in a long time. I'd like to bestow this upon her. Go read what's she's been up to over this last week. It will tear your heart out and change the way you look at life. It will make you so ever grateful for your children and your own life. We are a blessed nation ... and unfortunately there are times we forget that.


First of all, I've been reading Rocks in my dryer for quite a while, and I got a chance to catch up on Mrs. Rocks the other day. She's been on a Compassion mission trip to Uganda, and let me tell you ... that woman is amazing. What else is amazing, is how for the most part, we don't know a thing about the people behind the blogs we read, other than what we read. We come to know their hearts by what they write. This woman, Shannon, at Rocks in my dryer, has a heart. A huge heart with lots of compassion. She opened my eyes about how rich we are as a nation, and mainly how rich we are, in the aspect of health and life in general. We take so much for granted, and what we throw away would make a "world" of difference to other people that we never think about. I wish I knew of a way to give more to the people that she visited. More than prayers and more than thoughts ... they need more. Mrs. Rocks at Rocks in my Dryer has made a profound effect on me. BooMama is right there along with her, so you might want to check out her blog as well. These two ladies rock!

As a nurse, I worked Infectious Disease for a long time. The good majority of our patients were people with HIV/AIDS. But I never saw the effects of HIV/AIDS on children, or in such quantity. I never saw the effects of poverty. The people here in middle average USA live just like we do, and you don't know them from anyone else on the street. I know that in Uganda, a large portion of the Mother's have AIDS as well, and I can't imagine what these children's Mothers are going through watching their sick babies die.

The fear is surreal. Just because these people don't speak our language doesn't mean that they don't have the same feelings, the same intelligence or the same heart strings that we have. I personally know that fear. Several years ago, I was stuck with a contaminated needle used on a AIDS patient. The fear that washes over you is unbelievable. I was pregnant, and due to the prophylactic drugs I had to take ... I was very sick. I lost my baby, but everything turned out well for me, I am HIV NEGATIVE, but for these kids in Uganda it is a life sentence, and for most, a death sentence.

So, to Mrs. Rocks (Shannon), I greatly admire you for your compassion and for your Integrity, Spirit and Faith. For your Hope, Kindness and Good ... today you are my hero. I hope many people are drawn to your blog and read about your journey. I hope we all can find a way to show the Compassion that you have, and find a way to make a difference in the lives of the people, and mainly, the kids in Uganda and other countries that need our help.

Compassion is something that we all need within us. So today, being Sunday, would it be too much to ask of EVERYONE that reads here ... to just take this symbol of Compassion and pass it on. If you have a blog, you can post this on your sidebar. Or, if you know someone with a blog that has touched your heart ... just pass it on.

Be Blessed Everyone!

Tanya