Friday, August 31, 2007

Modern Day Woman ... Old Time Man (part one of a true love story)

April 17, 2001.

She. She pulled into the gas station just shortly before eleven that morning. It was Tuesday. Just another day. Another beautiful day in April. The sun was warm coming in through the glass in her car. It warmed the slight chill that lingered in the air. Thirty five miles from home, in the city, the course of her life was about to change.

He. He pulled into the gas station just shortly before eleven that Tuesday morning. So much to accomplish, so little time. A working dairy farm doesn't give you much idle time in town. Always in a hurry and always on a mission, he shivered from the early April chill. Mentally counting all the stops to make, and always watching the time. As he turned his head, he noticed a woman. Thirty minutes from his home in the country, an unanswered prayer was about to be answered, and the course of his life would change forever.

She stood outside, putting gas in her car. Unaware of the eyes watching her, she had her arms wrapped tightly to her chest to stay warm. The denim dress she wore whipped around her legs and she had goosebumps on her arms, and she shook. She shook from the cool air, and got back in her car to wait. So unaware of the black haired man in front of her.

He stood there watching her, leaning against his truck with one foot on the bumper. Just watching. This feeling of loneliness he'd been having, was stirring emotions he hadn't felt in a long time. Something started to brew in the pit of his stomach. But he only watched her.

She heard the click of the gas pump as it shut off. As she got out of her car, she looked up and saw the man that was staring at her. She was momentarily unable to speak to the woman on the other end of her cell phone. She felt a jolt go through her, and it took her breath. A feeling that she swore she'd buried, reared it's head and came to life. As she ended the call, he spoke.

He said, "I noticed your car. I really like the front end." She said, "I love it too." They chatted for a few minutes about the car, then parted ways to go inside and pay. He got there first, and held the door for her. He continued to chat while they waited in line. Her guard was up. His was down. She was scared, and so was he. As they walked out, he ask for her phone number. She hesitated. He ask again, and she gave. They continued to talk by her car. He said he'd call. She hoped he would. As they drove away .... they both knew that destiny had intervened, and their lives would forever change. She couldn't help but look back, and so did he. Their eyes met once again, as they turned opposite ways.

Two weeks later their love letters of life began. In an old hardback journal that snapped, he wrote to her first.

(May 1, 2001)

Dear Tan,

Since this is the first letter I've written to you, I will reflect back on our first meeting. When I entered that gas station, I noticed the front end of your car and I thought it looked neat, at almost the same time I noticed you. I couldn't get you to even look at me when I fueled my truck. You got in your car to wait. I was not worried yet. I would go to Plan B. (make sure we entered the store at the same time). When I ask you about your car, you said, "I love it." I checked you out as you told me about your car. As we parted, I knew I would be getting in way over my head. After knowing you for just over two weeks, I have never been so much in love, or felt so loved.

You friend & lover,

Von

p.s. I just love it when a plan comes together.

exert from her letter to him: " ....these words are from my heart. Each day we have to share is a blessed day"

.... as always, be blessed,

You can click here to read Part Two!