Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Happy Birthday Joey

Dear Joey,

Today is your birthday .... and you're twenty-four. It's hard for me to believe that you're a man, yet to me, you're still my little boy. Not only are you a grown man now, but you're a man of God. As a young man you found God, and he has changed your life in so many ways. Of all your many accomplishments in your life, I know that this was your destination. The place that you were meant to be. The paths that you traveled to get there were not hard for you, and I especially love it that you found him when you were young. He will fulfill your whole life in so many ways. Of course, you'll still have struggles, as we all do, but you have the strength of God standing behind you and lifting you up in your life. You're a lucky man.

Joey, we've never talked about this, me and you, but I feel in my heart that God has a plan for you. One that you don't even know yet. I feel that your mission will be to speak to the poor, and your voice will change the lives of many young people. I feel that there will be times in your life that you will be hungry, for you will do without, and give to the needy. I know that you know that God will see you through. I feel that there will be many times in your life that you will be poor on this earth, but so very rich in spirit, and I know this will happen because it will be your choice.

Over the past three years as I've watched you grow in your love for God, I used to think that you were moving away from me, that you were somewhere above me, but I know that you know my heart and I know that even if you're away from me in miles, you're always right here, just a phone call away and you'll always be with me no matter where you are.

My fear used to be that you would move far away, to another country even. I feel it in my bones, that you'll live where you're needed, somewhere that isn't the home you know. We've always been so close, and it's hard as your Mother to let you go, but I know in my heart that you're already gone. There are others in this world that need your presence, and the gifts you have, more than I do. But I also know that I am your Mother, and you love me very much. I'm very proud of you and the choices you've made in your life.

Joey, you're going to be an awesome Minister and I hope that through the course of your walk, you'll find, and lead, many to walk along beside you. Remember to hold their hands, for if they fall, you'll be there to help them back up. Your strength will be like that mighty Oak tree that we've both searched for in the bible, and can't find, the one that must have been in my dream for you, many years ago.

Happy Birthday my beautiful son, and I love you very much!

Mom