Sunday, March 30, 2008

Dear Littles - Chapter Two


Sam, Meg & Jay
(click picture for better view)
Dear Littles,

In this picture, you were just a little over four months old. So little time had gone by, and yet you grew and fattened up, and our life with the three of you became routine. Everything in our life revolved around you and taking care of you.

At the time, taking care of you seemed endless. As much as I love you, the exhaustion was overwhelming. I'm not complaining, as I would do anything for you, but how can you prepare yourself for eight months of little or no sleep. Yet we survived ... and you thrived. As I look back on those days, I'm amazed at what we accomplished with little help.

Jo Caskey, your Nanny, was here from the day you came home from the hospital, until you were almost a year and a half old. How blessed I was to have had her here during the days. Oh, how we longed for her during the nights every once in a while. Then, at seventy-one years old, she retired .... and I was lost.

Even as an older Mother, even though I had raised four kids, she taught me so much. That woman was amazing ... she cleaned, cooked, quilted and took care of you like you were one of her many Grandchildren. I listened to every word she had to say, and hung onto every word. She knew you as well as I did. ... and she loved you too.

In the wee hours of the morning, I learned to feed all three of you at the same time by myself. It was a rare occasion that your Daddy missed a feeding in those early months, but as you grew and stretched out the hours, it was just me and you at 4:30am every morning.

It was at this time, that I dressed you all up and took your picture. It is countless, the photo sessions we had. In the night, at every feeding and every time you were awake. By the time you were this age, I actually had over three thousand pictures of you. Over time, you literally grew to hate my camera.

What beautiful babies you were, and just how blessed can one Mother be?

I love you,

Mom