Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Man Amazes Me

All of you that having been reading lately know that I am wanting (getting) a building (studio) for my photography business. FarmHouse Photography. Kinda catchy huh? You think that might have anything to do with the fact that I live on a farm? Yes, you're right, and I'm also Mom to "The FarmHouse Kids" too.

This morning Marlboro Man's brain was turning like greased wheels. Actually he was trying to kill two birds with one stone. He was trying to 1) keep me happy, 2) save himself some money (maybe that should be option number one.)

See that barn in the picture above. Yes, that one. The one without windows or doors, and the one with Martha and her friends living in it. If you look close, you can see Martha's head sticking out one of those little windows on the left. (You can see Martha later as you read on.) He started telling me, "you know Tan, I was thinking ......," and I knew right then and there that he was headed for trouble.

Are you figuring out yet where I'm going with this? I bet you are! He said to me, "I was thinking, what about having your business in the top of the barn? It has a hip roof, it's tall, and has lots of room. When I was a kid, we used to stack lots of hay up there in the loft, and we played in there too! Lots of room! Wide open space ... and it's right here and already built!"
Yeah boy! Way up there in the loft. I can see it now ..... "FarmHouse Photography" ... just climb right on up! Oops, be careful ... that ladder is straight up! Here, let me shove your butt up a rung! Hold on while I pull my camera up on a rope! You up there yet? Here, pull me up! Whew! We made it! Yeah, we got central air! Lots of wide open space too .... just watch out for the birds! Duck! The barn swallows are after us! Run .... don't fall! Hold on! Here, just slide down that rope! Watch out for Martha when you land! She gets nervous you know. Don't step in it .... you'll ruin those city shoes you got on! Yeah .... I can see it now! "FarmHouse Photography"

Then I got to thinking .... wow, that's a pretty cool idea, and the view would be awesome from way up there in that old barn. We can put a new roof on it ... build a nice outside set of stairs to get up there so that we don't have to use Martha for a step stool. We can insulate it and drywall the whole loft. Then of course we'd have to put in a bathroom, an office and a few windows and make a door. We'd need a few dozen fly strips, and definitely heat and air to kill the smell. Other than that, I think I'm going to love it. I've never had a barn loft before and it's well lit up at night, and I wouldn't need a underground tunnel since I'd be able to just run across the driveway a bit. So I told him to go for it! Get on the ball and get started! Woo Hoo! I'm getting a new studio! Just a few renovations and I'm all set!

Meet Martha! She'll live downstairs with all her sis-ta's!

As for Marlboro Man .... he changed his mind! He didn't think that was a practical idea when I told all the modern conveniences I wanted and needed! Can you believe that? The man totally amazes me!

So what do you think? Should I go for the old barn idea and try to talk him back into it? .... or totally go with my original plan for a quaint little old school house look?

Be Blessed Everyone!