Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I Love You Mom

In the very early wee hours of the morning, at 3:23am, I felt something that woke me up. It was a soft little hand that eased it's way into my hand. It belonged to a little boy with puppy breath that was standing next to my bed. He climbed up next to me and leaned over and whispered, "I love you Mom." I whispered back to him, "I love you too" and pulled the covers back so he could snuggle next to me.

Instead, he said to me, "I a big boy now. I sleep in my own bed with Charlie (cow) and Bob (the builder). I cover you up and tell you I love you. Good-night Mommy. Stay in your bed." .... and with a little kiss on my cheek, he was gone.

I laid there and listened as that sweet little boy got back in his bed, then I tip-toed to the door of his room to peek. Charlie and Bob were on his pillow and each had a little arm around them. The little boy in the middle was already sound asleep.

I stood there for a moment with tears in my eyes, and thanked God for the gifts I've been given, and prayed that he gives me a long life to enjoy these heartprints that he leaves for me as I raise these children.

"Goodnight Sammy .... I love you too."