Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Dream Comes True (Part Two)

This is continued from the beginning story of Modern Day Woman ... Old Time Man. You can click here to start at the beginning of our life story, or you can click here to start at the beginning, part one, A Dream Comes True.

Without speaking, and in stunned silence, they left the office. She turned her face away from his and the tears poured down her face .....

They had just discovered that they were having triplets. Three babies. The chill of fear ran down her spine. She knew that it would take a miracle of God for her to pull this off. Little did she know, a miracle had already happened, and God would touch her and keep all four of them safe.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(May 3, 2004)

Dear Tan,

I always wanted to know what it is like to be in a NHRA dragster and go from 0 - 330 mph in about 4.5 seconds. Now I think I know. It's kind of like finding out you have three babies growing. In 4.5 seconds, the G-force makes your face go white for a few seconds.

Seriously, I know if anyone can do it, you can . You are a wonderful person, and will be and are, a wonderful Mother. I will be here by your side and I will never leave you.

I guess we might both get what we wanted. You wanted two babies. I wanted one. That makes three.

Love,

Von

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

She lived in constant fear of losing the babies. As each week went by, the visits to the Doctor became harder and harder. She quickly grew uncomfortable and was very sick. With each visit to the Doctor, she was reminded of her age and the consequences of prematurity and told this might cost her, her life. They were told to reduce the pregnancy to one baby. They were told that they could not and would not be successful in this venture. She was told that this was the most selfish thing she could do to another human being ..... to bring children into the world with probable disabilities from prematurity, that related to her age, she would not live long enough to take care of them. They simply could not take the lives of what was given to them. No matter the cost.

He bought her a gift. A pregnant angel. A willow tree angel ..... Cherish. The one that symbolized the other half to the three she had given the woman long before she knew that she would have three babies. A reminder for her to keep. A reminder of the woman she didn't know, but would know in her heart, for all of her life. A reminder that she would cherish.

They soon found out that they were having two boys and a girl. He named their babies. He chose simple names. Three letter names. Sam, Jay and Meg. She chose their middle names .... and they made plans for the future.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(August 5, 2004)

Dear Tan,

Yesterday we found out our baby girl Meg, more than likely is a baby boy. Three boys. My three sons. How will I do it? How will we do it?

I know you are so sick, and so crowded, and I know you are headed for trouble soon if you don't get better, and gain weight. Our babies have taken all that you have to give, and I wish I could do something to help you. I feel so helpless. We've come so far and have so far to go, and we might not get there. I shouldn't say that, I have to have the faith that you have, but I'm so scared right now. I never knew it would be this hard on you. I never knew that they would be in jeopardy as well. I just never knew, now I don't know what to do. I can only pray that God will make things easier and better and you and them will be okay. They can't be born yet, they won't make it ... they're too small.

I love you Tan,

Von

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

She was sick. In a hospital bed in their living room on complete bed rest with monitors and IV's, and unable to get up without help. She couldn't eat. She couldn't stop vomiting, and she knew that she was in big trouble. In a blur, she lay in the bed, uncomfortable and waited for him to come home. She knew she could no longer stay home.

He came into the house, exhausted and worried, and knew that something was wrong. She was having contractions. Too many and too painful, and she was still throwing up.

At the hospital, they discussed the options with him. They would start vein feedings to nourish her and their babies. They would stop her labor. She would have to stay there. He didn't think she was aware of what a dangerous situation they were in. He was worried.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(August 18, 2004)

Dear Tan,

The ultrasound yesterday shows that Meggie is still with us. She's still a girl! I'm happy about that. We got the first face picture of Sam in 4D. He looks great. Jay wouldn't cooperate. They are still far too little, and just not ready to be born yet.

I can remember the first few ultrasounds and all the ones we've had as we've watched them grow. It's hard to believe that we can actually see them now.

I miss you being here with me. I know it's in the best interest of the babies, and you.

I love you all,

Von

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

She knew that something was seriously wrong. She'd been a nurse for years. Even though she was the patient, she still was somewhat aware of her surrounding. She felt chilled from the fevers, and too swollen. Her toes didn't touch the floor when they helped her up to the bathroom. But the fevers were the worst. She was so cold, and shaking so badly. ... and dreaming so much, or was she? She heard voices, and saw faces, and didn't recognize some of the people in her room. She saw her Mother, and her sister, and she saw her husband standing by her side, and she saw the tears streaming down his face. She felt his hands. She was in a daze, and the lights came and went. She couldn't breathe. She was swollen. She couldn't pee. She couldn't move, and she inhaled the words she heard, and heard them echo through her.

She was septic, in renal failure and in congestive heart failure. She had gained seventy pounds of fluid in three days, and her kidneys weren't working. Her fevers were high and she was in trouble. Her life was swinging in the balance and no one knew which way she would go. She was spiraling downward into multi-organ failure .... and going fast.

But he had promised her .... they would not take her babies. No matter what. He would keep his promise to her. He would give her up, to give them a chance. The plan was that they would intubate her, (they didn't have to) and keep her alive as long as they could, to give them the chance they needed. He was losing her. How would he handle three babies without her.

She heard her Doctors' words floating some where in the room, and she felt her cold hands holding her face to hers. Some where in the world that she was in, she heard her words, "Tanya, do you hear me? You have to tell me it's okay to take the babies. We have to take them now. Von won't give his permission. I know he promised you, but we have to take them now. You're very sick, and to save them, we have to take them now."

She heard herself whisper, "No." She knew she wasn't going to die. Somewhere in all the voices she heard, she heard her own, "you think I'm going to die, but I'm not." They said it wasn't possible that she heard them, but she did. She heard them all .

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

He had ask to be alone with her. He sat in a recliner at her bedside. He wrote to her one last time with tears streaming down his face.

(September 21, 2004)

Dear Tan,

I love you yesterday, today, tomorrow and forever. This may be the last letter I ever write to you. I read every word we've ever written to each other. I read your words, and I can almost hear your voice. I wish I could.

Love,

Von

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Alone in the room, he snapped their book closed one last time, and leaned over onto her bed. He closed his eyes and began to pray ... and he begged God to spare her life. She knew he was there.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Be Blessed Everyone ....



To my friends that read my blog ... this is very hard for me to write. I get chills when I think of how close I came to dying before my babies were born. I know how lucky I am to have survived. I give all thanks to God that I lived.

Click here to read part three.